Friday, January 27, 2006

deep in the heart of texas

To the woman who looked breathtakingly gorgeous with perfect hair and makeup even after a two-hour flight to San Antonion: I hate you.

Here I am in San Antonio, enjoying every minute of my stay. Last night we went to dinner and then walked along the river. Beautiful. Maybe it's because I grew up in Nevada where all the buildings are either new, fake, or shabby (or often a combination of the three), but I truly appreciate the architecture here. The buildings are so rich in history and originality. I could see myself living in a place like this.

And this morning I slept in until just before the continental breakfast went away, took a bath, and read my new Lemony Snicket book. I'm just lounging (which I enjoy immensely) until John finishes his assessment. Tonight we'll hit the town and celebrate my birthday in style.

This is my first trip to Texas, and so far I love it. However, I'm a little confused by the fact that nobody has that exaggerated Texan accent I expected them to have. Do the people who leave the state of Texas feel the need to prove where they're from by drawling big time? Or is that accent just from a different region in Texas?

Well, better go. Off to do more lounging. :)

1 comment:

S'mee said...

My sister lives in Texas. A part of Texas she says is almost exclusively made up of folks who grew up in Arizona, Calif., and other western states. Not one has an accent. Perhaps the is the problem. She has picked up the Texas lifestyle of bigger is better, lots of gold jewelery, fancy boots, etc. Maybe all the 'real' Texans have moved to DC, or Hollywood, or some other place where they can stand out by voice and red cowboy boots alone.

Who knows.

Have a great time.