Wednesday, September 07, 2005

camped out

Hooray for showers and running water and beds that are not filled with air! We spent a four-day weekend at the Grand Canyon this Labor Day, and it was nice. I'm not big into camping, and I feel certain that J isn't either, even though he continues to insist that he loves it...

I did enjoy seeing deer, skunk, turkey, and other wildlife. I enjoyed the beautiful sunsets that swept across the canyon, making the already beautiful rock formations turn even more brilliant colors. I like taking hikes and enjoying the peacefulness of nature. I also enjoyed sitting around the campfire (in my brand new camping rocking chair bought for me by my dear husband) and reading a book.

Here's what I don't love about camping: Not showering for three days. Loading up a bunch of crap that you have to set up once you get there so that you have a makeshift house. Only it's not a house, it's a nylon tent with an air mattress inside, and dirt gets everywhere and you can't stand up straight in your little 'house'. It almost always involves freezing at night. You also pack up a bunch of food and cooking paraphernalia and utensils. Then you get to make the meals on this little stove all the while ignoring the dirt everywhere. And THEN, three days later, you have to take it all apart and pack it all up again. Then it's home again, where you get to unload it all.

Somehow that's just not my idea of fun. It sounds like something for a masochist. Give me a hotel and breakfast in bed; that's what I'm all about!

Camping rant aside, I did have fun. Here's the proof:

This is me and J at a scenic part of the Grand Canyon. If we look a little dirty and gross and smelly, that's because we are! I'm holding our adorable niece who loved camping and loved US even more--we are her favorite aunt and uncle, hands down. :)

--hj

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smiles From a Summer Wine
More than a week after Katrina devastated New Orleans, estimates of the human toll have been based on little more than sketchy math and wild guesses.
Just goofing around on the computer and I found your blog. If ya got some time check outweight loss low fat cooking
Maybe you will find something interesting.

holli jo said...

No offense anonymous, but you sound like spam.

Anonymous said...

Holli, I'm with you on the whole "camping" issue...no thanks!

Anonymous said...

Freaking aDORable couple you are!!!!!!!!! Screw the showering thing, you don't need it!

Abel Keogh said...

I'm jealous. Always wanted to go camping in the Grand Canyon. Glad you had fun.