Wednesday, March 07, 2007

railroad wings

I am listening to Patty Griffin's newest album, children running through, and it is amazing. As always when I listen to her music, I feel I understand what life is about, and it's sweet, and it's a little sad, and it's always beautiful.

Patty is just amazing, which is why I am so excited to be going to her concert this Saturday. A coworker of mine loves Patty's music just as much as I do, so when she found out she was coming to Arizona, she bought tickets. Her husband can't go, so I'm going with her instead.

Patty Griffin is one of those artists I would practically DIE to see live. There aren't many people in that category -- Patty Griffin, Emmylou Harris, Nick Drake (he's dead, so I really would have to die to see him), Alison Krauss. Maybe a couple of others. Bands come and go, but there are some musicians whose voices stay with you. Patty Griffin is definitely one of those.

"All these years along the lights are growing dim
I hear you sing your song in the next room
And as far as I can tell most everything means nothing
Except some things that mean everything"

2 comments:

Mrs Andy said...

I feel the same way about Alison Krause. The next best thing is her concert DVD called "Alison Krause & Union Station" it features mostly songs from the New Favorite Album and some older stuff. Dan Tyminski and Ron Block (the Soggy Bottom Boys) also do some solo stuff on it. If you have Netflix get it--heck, it's worth buying it's so good.

holli jo said...

Sounds good! I'll have to check it out.