Thursday, June 15, 2006

so happy together

So my husband got me an iPod. How good to me is he?!

It makes me so happy to have music with me whenever I want it. I was listening to music and walking around campus yesterday, and it felt strange, as though I had a life soundtrack following me around. Wouldn't that be cool?

But it's making me rethink a few things. I used to think that I would never want to own music without also physically owning a CD with album art and stuff. Now? I think it's just wasteful and cumbersome to have such a large collection of CDs sitting around.

Also, I just don't think I need to collect hundreds of books anymore. I love books. But I no longer feel the need to own them. Which is a good thing, because I don't want to haul around millions of boxes of books for the rest of my life.

Anyway, I'm one small step away from falling asleep at my desk right now. If I could go home, I would. The good news is, I'm not working tomorrow!!

So happy Friday. And have a great weekend.

4 comments:

*Amy * said...

I got an ipod in January- an early brithday present! ( my bday isnt until the end of March!) but I understand about the life soundtrack following you around. I love mine, they are a revolution for sure. I have a few artists that I insist on buying teh cds for the artwork and all but for the most part it is needless, like you say. With how little they spend to actually make the cd- its the rights that count- and giving the artist their due. Just download, especially when cds have like what 3-4 good tracks generally?

Anonymous said...

My two oldest kids both have iPods, and my husband too. I went to the mall with my daughter this weekend and she said, "It's cool having music all the time. No more silence following you around."

I have my music on an external hard drive that I take to work with me (it wouldn't all fit on an iPod), and I just burn stuff to listen to in the car.

Anonymous said...

I came to the same realization about books about a year ago. I gave bags and bags full of books to the used bookstore here in LA. It was hard, but at the same time liberating, I do still keep my very, very, very favorites around, and all of my trashy trade paper backs. They're always good for a read once in a while. Now here is the question, why and iPOD when MP3 players are less?

ttfn

John R. said...

Because the ASU Alumni Association was giving away iPods in exchange for the purchase of a life membership...I figured I'd kill two bird with one stone and give one dead bird (read: iPod) to my lovely wife.